Jorge Lorenzo kept his unbeaten record at Estoril intact with a dominant victory that saw him finish with a gap of over 8 seconds on 2nd placed Valentino Rossi.
The early laps saw some frantic scrapping between Lorenzo, Rossi, Stoner, and Hayden, with Rossi eventually coming out on top to take an early lead. Rossi managed to stretch out a slight gap and looked to be set to run away with the victory.
Lorenzo got stronger as the race progressed and stayed with Rossi, with both Yamaha’s building up a huge gap on the rest of the pack (which was slightly depleted with Casey Stoner crashing out on the 5th lap) – Lorenzo eventually made his move on the brakes in the first turn of lap 17.
As soon as Lorenzo took the lead he started dropping a succession of fastest laps that cemeted his victory.
The most entertaining battle of the race was the fight between Andrea Dovizioso and Marco Simoncelli for 3rd place. Both riders exchanged positions multiple times in some breathtaking moves throughout the final third of the race with Dovi taking the final podium by 0.059s.
Ben Spies failed to start the race after a highside on the sighting lap that resulted in a dislocated ankle.
Estoril – MotoGP Race Results:
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 46m17.962s
2. Valentino Rossi Yamaha + 8.629s
3. Andrea Dovizioso Honda + 26.475s
4. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda + 26.534s
5. Nicky Hayden Ducati + 27.154s
6. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda + 28.297s
7. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha + 30.109s
8. Dani Pedrosa Honda + 44.947s
9. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda + 1m13.649s
10. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati + 1m17.721s
11. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki + 1m17.908s
12. Hiroshi Aoyama Interwetten Honda + 1m33.025s
13. Loris Capirossi Suzuki + 1m39.752s
Carlos Checa Pramac Ducati 12 laps
Casey Stoner Ducati 4 laps
Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 0 laps
Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha DNS
Popularity: 1% [?]