Casey Stoner showed he was back in formidable form with victory in Japan; the win marked his second straight victory.
Andrea Dovizioso managed to shadow Stoner for the entire race, and looked like mounting a challenge for the lead on a couple of occasions, but Stoner was able to keep a strong pace that prevented Dovi from getting into a strong enough position to make any meaningful moves.
Valentino Rossi claimed third place after a vicious battle with Jorge Lorenzo on the last 3 laps. Lorenzo led Rossi from the start, but Valentino managed to overtake his team-mate on lap 6. Lorenzo was able to stay close to Rossi and prevented him from escaping off into the distance. In the final laps, Lorenzo made multiple moves to take third position from Rossi, with the Italian fighting back almost instantly. Both riders denied the other any room during the exchanges and made hard contact on a number of occasions. Team orders, were clearly non-existent as both Fiat Yamaha’s traded paint in some spectacular and close racing. Rossi won the fight and took the final podium place by just 0.5 seconds.
MotoGP Race Results – Motegi:
1. Casey Stoner Ducati 43m12.266s
2. Andrea Dovizioso Honda + 3.868s
3. Valentino Rossi Yamaha + 5.707s
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha + 6.221s
5. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha + 27.092s
6. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda + 30.021s
7. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki + 31.826s
8. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha + 35.572s
9. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda + 47.564s
10. Hiroshi Aoyama Interwetten Honda + 49.598s
11. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda + 49.999s
12. Nicky Hayden Ducati + 50.703s
13. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati + 51.422s
14. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati + 52.843s
15. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati + 1m14.668s
Loris Capirossi Suzuki 21 laps
Popularity: 2% [?]