Marco Simoncelli maintained his form at Assen to take pole position with a 0.009 second lead over Ben Spies.
Casey Stoner rounded out the front row in third place, with Jorge Lorenzo in fourth.
Cal Crutchlow impressed once again by putting his satellite Yamaha in 6th place, despite his broken collarbone.
Valentino Rossi struggled with his Ducati GP11.1 in the dry conditions and spent most of the session in 15th position, until some faster laps late in the session saw him improve slightly to take 11th position.
Assen: MotoGP Qualifying Times
1. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m34.718s
2. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m34.727s + 0.009s
3. Casey Stoner Honda 1m35.008s + 0.290s
4. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m35.143s + 0.425s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m35.244s + 0.526s
6. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m35.329s + 0.611s
7. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m35.742s + 1.024s
8. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m35.818s + 1.100s
9. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m35.866s + 1.148s
10. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 1m36.435s + 1.717s
11. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m36.564s + 1.846s
12. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1m36.580s + 1.862s
13. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m36.590s + 1.872s
14. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m36.820s + 2.102s
15. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 1m37.130s + 2.412s
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1m37.651s + 2.933s
17. Kousuke Akiyoshi Gresini Honda 1m39.006s + 4.288s
Popularity: 1% [?]